Friday, August 15, 2014

Bitten, 111/530 pages

Having given Bitten a chance, I can safely say that I spoke too soon when I was previously unsure on whether or not I'd continue reading. As you can see from my progress, I've definitely continued reading but I still stand by my earlier statement of the language used. Some of it seems a little... dated even for a novel originally published in 2001. Now and then, the vocabulary that Elena uses whether internal or spoken, seem to make her much older than she is. But, given that werewolves in Armstrong's universe age more slowly, perhaps the choosing of these words on the author's part is on purpose to show that. A couple other points that sort of have me annoyed or otherwise thinking further thus far:

  • Every time she's picked up like a 5-year-old. The way some of the pack treat her I find a bit... insulting? I'm not sure that's an accurate term to use here, but I find it highly annoying and I'm surprised that Elena hasn't voiced the same concern. She's a grown woman for cryin' out loud, not your 5-year-old kid sister.
  • The angry undertone of the novel thus far. When reading earlier today, I sort of made the mental comment to myself that a lot of Elena's... internal musings had such an angry feel to it that sort of had been feeling taken aback. Like, "Whoa, relax lady!" But then I thought on it some with the information I had so far and I can see how a lot of what Elena thinks, feels, and says (out loud or just an inner musing) can seem angry. She's been dealt a really shitty hand and, according to her, been betrayed by someone she loved and trusted. At this point, I'm going to assume it's Clay, but I'm not 100% on that theory since it's based off what I know from the Syfy TV series and we all know that creative license tends to overtake book-to-film/tv adaptations. Basically, in all, I definitely see how everything she talks about is peppered with anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment